Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

10/24/13

Wright's BBQ

Wright's BBQ

Wright's BBQ on Urbanspoon

Wright's BBQ is a relative newcomer to Tyler and is located a little south of Grande off of Paluxy.  I'm not sure it is the greatest location for a restaurant as it is in a relatively low traffic area in an 'industrial/country' part of Tyler.  From the outside it looks non-descript with very little to indicate there is a restaurant.

The spread:  I really like their setup inside.  It reminds me of an old church banquet hall I used to go to growing up.  There is a bar on one side, a bunch of tables and then an entertainment area on the opposite side.  They offer your standard Texas BBQ:  brisket, sausage, ribs, turkey, and pulled pork.  For sides you can choose potato salad, pinto beans or cole slaw.  They also offer BBQ nachos and a BBQ baked potato.  For dessert you can choose from cobbler, banana pudding and cheesecake.  When I went by to give them a try, I was the only person in the huge dining room, which is always a bad sign.

The verdict:  This is another example of a family run restaurant in Tyler that I really want to love and support, but falls flat.  They are doing everything right except putting out good BBQ.  I loved the decor, the setup, the bar, and the service was friendly.  The food was just not up to snuff.  The brisket was tender, however, it had very little smoke flavor.  The sausage tasted like generic hickory farm store bought sausage.  The ribs were tender, but they again had very little smoke flavor.  The potato salad and pinto beans were also bland and a little sweet.  I am of the opinion that to do BBQ right, you need an experienced pit master and a BBQ pit that uses real wood and smoke, neither of which were evident on my visit.  I think perhaps they are focusing on being an entertainment center and not a great BBQ joint.  I think it would be a great place to have an event (I'd just prefer to cater from someone else!).

Edible Tyler Roses:  2 out of 5, below average BBQ.

6 comments:

  1. This made me think of the delicate balance between presentation and product when owning a resto/grill. But I’m curious about the look of the place, so I guess I’ll stop over whenever I’m near Tyler in the near future. Although I’d still like a good BBQ more than any fun ambience or entertainment center. I guess I’ll have to come there myself to know the real deal.

    Lindsay @ rjsgrillon36.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    We were just made aware of this blog from one of our loyal customers, and upon reading I noticed that it is from October, 2013. Only 3 months after we opened the doors. I would like to personally invite you back to give us another try. We hit our one year mark at the beginning of this month and I believe that since you were here we have ironed out most of our wrinkles. So please come back and give us another shot.

    Thank you,
    Rashell Boehm
    Manager

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!
    aramam restaurant in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attempt to take into account a wide scope of tastes and dietary necessities if conceivable. You may have a different menu segment for youngsters or your menu may incorporate choices for vegans. Iranian Restaurants

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let your employees know that they are a part of the restaurant and their marketing skills will give them higher tips and provide the restaurant with higher profits.Iranian Restaurant Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also aramam restaurant dubai

    ReplyDelete