Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

10/22/13

Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ - Best Ribs in Texas?? *UPDATE*

Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ
525 S. Beckham Ave.
Tyler, TX 75702
http://www.stanleyspitbbq.com/

Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ on Urbanspoon

Stanley's is a local BBQ joint located just west of the Medical center hospitals off of Beckham. The place has a great reputation with many accolades including Texas Monthly top 50 BBQ joints, and more recently won a statewide competition for their BBQ ribs. I have been several times, once when I first moved up to Tyler with my brother. Everything I know about the owners, I like. They are working hard to have authentic BBQ in a fun environment.

The spread: Typical Texas BBQ offerings (ribs, sausage, brisket) as well as pork and turkey. They also offer fish tacos (which I haven't tried yet) and are open for breakfast.

The verdict: First, let me start off with I am BBQ biased. The high points are the brisket and the pulled pork, both are excellently cooked with just the right amount of smoke. I have had both several times and haven't been disappointed. My personal favorite is the egg and pork taco for breakfast. The biggest disappointment so far has been their award winning ribs. I have had them twice and both times, they weren't cooked long enough and didn't have enough smoke. They may be winning contests with their ribs elsewhere, but they are not putting out quality ribs when I have eaten them.

**I have been back to Stanley's twice since the original post. Twice I got the ribs and twice I was disappointed. The most recent visit, the ribs were inedible, really, really bad. No smoke, not tender, horrible taste. I also got some brisket from the fatty end and it had very little smoke and was CHEWY, again not very good. The highlight of the meal was the sausage which was very good.

**Double update.  Well I have been to Stanley's many times since the original post and I would like to increase my rating of the place.  The last several times I have gone, the brisket has been OUTSTANDING.  Very reminiscent of central Texas style BBQ - that is to say a lot of smoke and wonderful tenderness.  I have tried their ribs also many times and the bottom line is I just don't like them, whatever the flavor combo is, I just don't like.  There is never enough smoke and they aren't tender enough for me.  BUT, the sausage, pulled porked are good and they have been NAILING the brisket.  

***Triple update:  Stanley's has grown on me a lot over the years.  The brisket is one of the best there is in Texas.  Their sausage is fantastic.  They have a sandwich called the "Mother clucker" - a grilled/bbq'd chicken thigh, fried egg, cheese and a special sauce on a brioche type bun that is not to be missed.  I just had some of their gumbo today.  They have great live music.   I have been to a beer tasting they sponsored from Cedar Creek Brewery.  The bottom line for me is that this place continues to improve and really is a jewel in Tyler.

Edible Tyler Roses: 5 out of 5, this place is for real.  The brisket is worth driving for, some people love the ribs, they are just ok for me.

1 comment:

  1. I eat here at least 1-2 times every week. At least 1/2 the time I get my favorite which is the Brother In Law Sandwich. Sausage with chopped brisket. I love it. I also love the pulled pork breakfast burrito, fish tacos, "Texas" taco (brisket) and I just tried the Mother Clucker sandwich. I'm not a big egg on a sandwich guy but it was very good. So... The ribs. I'm not a rib guy. I have a bit of an aversion to fatty meat. I like my steak as a filet mignon. I like my brisket lean. And the thing I like about Stanley's ribs is that they are more lean as well. I've only had them once. But I liked them. I'm sure rib experts probably like more fat / flavor. Good review. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete