Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

10/7/10

Namaste Bombay

UPDATE: Namaste Bombay has unfortunately closed its doors. It will be missed. There is apparently a new Indian food place that has opened in town that I will be sure to try.

Namaste Bombay
713 W. SW Loop 323 Ste. F
Tyler, TX 75703

This is a Indian food restaurant just west of Broadway/69 on the loop. I was a little worried about the place as I rolled in for the lunch buffet. The outside isn't much to look at. Walking inside, the place had nice decor and warmth. There were 4 other customers in the restaurant, barely enough for me to not walk right out. Never eat at a restaurant when you are the only customer during lunch or dinner. I was greeted by the owner (I think) who was very pleasant and directed me to the buffet.

The spread: Two different kinds of rice, one with herbs/spices, one plain (basmati I presume), two 'soupy' curries, spiced potatoes, peas and green beans, a spicy egg curry, a goat dish with a spicy sauce, and warm Naan.

The verdict: WOW, I was blown away with the aggressive spicing by the chef. This is not watered down Indian food! Every dish had a unique flavor profile and was really well done. These people care about their food! The naan was delicious. This was my first time to try an egg curry (hard boiled eggs, halved then cooked with a spicy brown sauce). The goat dish was the star of the show, meaty, delicious, just enough spice. Overall, there is a chef back there in the kitchen who cares about his craft. All for less than ten bucks. The value is going to be tough to beat. The service was also very nice, the owner was quite friendly. Overall, this is the best meal for the value I have eaten in Tyler.

Edible Tyler Roses: 4 out of 5, absolutely best value for the food in Tyler.

2 comments:

  1. But do you have to like Indian food to enjoy it? That would be a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you should create a yelp.com profile, rate these restaurants and summarize your reviews there, and then link back to your full review here.

    ReplyDelete