Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

10/11/10

Basic Bread Recipe

One thing I haven't found yet in Tyler is a good crusty bread. There may be a bakery squirreled away somewhere, but I have been unsuccessful in finding one. So, I thought I would just bake some bread for myself. It turns out to be a fair bit of work to make fresh bread. I was satisfied with the results of my bread making, the only thing I would change is to get some sort of bread mixer. I know that I won't continue to make bread if I have to knead it for 10 minutes.

Bread in 4 steps:

1) Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 warm water, 1 package (TBSP or so) of yeast and let rest for 15 minutes.

2) Mix in 4 cups flour (use whatever kind you like, I used bread flour), 1 cup warm water, 1/2 TBSP salt, 1 TBSP milk, 1 TBSP honey, 1 TBSP olive oil. Mix together until not sticky (you may have to add more flour or more water depending). Let rise for 1.5 hours.

3) Punch bread in face. Knead for 10 minutes. Cut into two loaves and shape as you see fit (cut designs into top if you are feeling really creative). Place on floured baking sheet. Let rise for 1 hour.

4) Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment