Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

2/10/14

Pat Gee's BBQ - Worth the drive

Pat Gee's BBQ

Pat Gee's Barbecue on Urbanspoon

Pat's is an interesting place.  It is located off of 31 between Tyler and Kilgore in a ramshackle building that looks like it was built in another time. The barbeque pit is in a little kitchen off to the side and there is a dining area with a few scattered tables.  I was greeted warmly by an older couple, who I presume are the owners.  They are open Fri-Sun until the meat runs out.

The spread:  They offer your standard barbeque fair:  Pork ribs, brisket, hot links, etc.  They also offer the standard BBQ sides: potato salad, beans, white bread, etc. 

The verdict:  These folks know what they are doing when it comes to BBQ.  When you walk in the front door, you are hit with a wall of smoke that lets you know you have arrived at the right place for some BBQ.  The smoke has penetrated every surface in the place, so you know it has been around for quite some time.  The service couldn't have been friendlier, they figured out right away that it was my first time there and were quite welcoming (don't be scared off by the rough exterior).  The meats were all very good with nice smoke flavor, good seasonings and a tangy BBQ sauce (from a mason jar covered in foil).  The potato salad was mustard based and offer a great foil to the smokey meats.  The beans were very flavorful with chunks of meat.  The brisket had a good fatty content and was very tender.  The ribs were also very good, but perhaps a bit on the overdone side.  The hot link was great, just the right amount of spice and bit to the casing.  All together a very good meal.  By comparison, there brisket doesn't match the central texas style of Stanley's, however, I prefer Pat Gee's ribs and sides.  I will definitely be back.  This isn't the best BBQ I've ever had in comparison to the Titans of central Texas (Smitty's, City Market, Kruez, Black's), but it is very good.

Edible Tyler Roses: 4 out of 5, Go give Pat Gee's a try, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I think the hot links and the ham at Pat Gee's are my favorites. I never would have bothered with ham at a bbq joint, but my sister (who is not a ham fan) raved about it. I'm glad I listened to her!

    ReplyDelete