Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants Tyler Texas Food Blog Tyler restaurants

Total Pageviews

2/10/14

Hickory Hill BBQ - didn't find my thrill on Hickory Hill

Hickory Hill

Hickory Hill on Urbanspoon

Hickory Hill is a relatively new place just off 31 between Tyler and Kilgore.  Someone recommended giving this place a try in the comment section, so I figured I would give them a try when I went out to Pat Gee's (they are very close to one another).  The place looks promising from the road, it definitely has a country feel to it with 'old timey' decor.

The spread:  They offer your standard barbeque fare:  Brisket, hot links, ribs, etc.  They have their menu on a small peg board just by the register and have a small dining area (4-5 tables).  I was greeted warmly and they took my order right away.

The verdict:  I just finished sampling Pat Gee's and I was excited to try Hickory Hill.  I ordered the three meat plate and got brisket, hot links and ribs.  The plate looked great.  The rib was large and meaty.  The brisket was perfectly cut with the right amount of meat and fat.  The hot link looked good to go.  Oh man was I disappointed.  All the meats had an acrid, overpowering smoke flavor.  It tasted like a mix between liquid smoke and an ash tray.  The brisket and ribs weren't very tender, but I only took a few bites because my palate was overwhelmed with the horrible smokey taste.  I couldn't discern the flavoring of the hot link again due to the overpowering smoke bomb.  The beans were more like baked beans and less like the 'ranch' style or 'charro' style that I prefer.  The potato salad was also a little sweet, but still pretty good.  Now I like a good, smokey tender BBQ, Stanley's brisket is a perfect example of that, but I was very disappointed with the meats at Hickory Hill.

Edible Tyler Roses: 1 out of 5, maybe they were having a bad day, but I really didn't like their BBQ.

3 comments:

  1. A group of BBQ lovers from the Dallas Morning News totally disagrees with your negative review!
    http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20100315-the-barbecue-chronicles-one-day-four-pit-stops-in-east-texas.ece

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these people including a food critic disagrees with your negative review!
    http://youtu.be/EGlzOsN8qyc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be a restaurant owner on Tyler. Shame on you. The best Ribeye I've ever had. Love the BBQ. Sandwiches so big I can't eat it all. Never have been disappointed and we eat there every weekend. Maybe you need to critique outhouses instead of food.

    ReplyDelete